Sunday, April 13, 2008

Falling into place

Sometimes things just fall into place. I had plans to visit a girlfriend in CA this weekend. Plans change and it didn't happen. I'll get to see her soon, so all is well. I expected a pretty quiet weekend. Well, I contacted the local chapter of the American Sewing Guild a couple of weeks ago. I thought I'd check it out. I received a phone call telling me about the group and a special program being held on Saturday. They arranged a day with Sandra Betzina! How Cool! I was invited and I attended! For those of you who haven't heard of her, here's her Website. She's one of today's Sewing Gurus. She has patterns offered through Vogue Patterns and has written books and has a large collection of DVDs. There's a lot of information on her website.

This is a new pants pattern she has out. These would make a fun pair of pants.

She spent the morning talking about fit. I loved it. I seem to have this mental block when it comes to fit. It's probably more of hole than a block. Nothing's there! She made fitting sound sensible and she explained things very well. I already have a couple of her books and I'm hoping I can get better at this. In the afternoon, she had a trunk show. She showed us what she made from all of her patterns. She tried on a lot of them so we could see them "on person"! She used some great fabrics and explained some of her sewing techniques. It was a lot of fun!

What did I do on Sunday? Did I sew? Yes. Did I make a new top or pants and use this great fitting information? No. I have a quilting project that I needed to catch up on. It's going along fine, but I wanted to try a new top or something. Soon! Very Soon!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

6 comments:

~Niki~ said...

Sew glad you had a good time. What fun!

Sheila said...

Glad you enjoyed the sewing seminar. Looking forward to seeing your quilt and Enjoy your Week.

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Wow. That sounds like a great experience--I love it when a change of plans can go so right ;-)

Unknown said...

That sounds like it ended up being a pretty great weekend after all!

I look forward to seeing all your new creations soon. :)

Karen said...

Whoa, we must be leading parallel lives -- I just joined an ASG neighborhood group in January. Found it a great way to jump start the garment sewing. Good luck with the projects.

O'Malley said...

I miss you.. when are you coming back to a Tuesday night?