Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hello Again,
I've been catching on blog reading this afternoon.  It always feels like I get to catch up with all my friends.  Check out Sheila's post today.  She made some beautiful pillows and has plans to do some more home dec projects.  Lori has also posted pictures of the projects she's done in her home recently.

Sheila asked readers what type of home dec projects they like to sew.  I've always liked to sew for my home.  I've moved around quite a bit and planning a few new things every time we moved was fun.  This is one area of sewing where I'm usually happy with the results.  I never seem to find exactly what I want when I shop for home dec items and I have fun planning what I want to make.  I've made valances, curtains, pillows, comforters, and bed skirts.  My parents always did any home dec/renovations themselves.  You name it, I think they've done it.  My mother is an amazing sewer and has recovered and refinished a lot of furniture too.  She came to visit me a few years back so we could recover my (their) couch and a (their) chair.  I learned that's it not as difficult to recover a piece of furniture as I thought.  LOL!  I can say that because she was here to tell me what to do every step of the way.

Well, after all of this, I thought I'd show you a couple of things I made recently.  I bought a bench with baskets for our bedroom because I wanted a little more storage.  It came with a plain muslin covered pad so I covered it with this red tone on tone print.  I a lot happier with it.  The quilt in the picture is almost finished.  I just need to bind it.  I'm also going to make several throw pillows for the bench and bed.

The last picture shows pillowcases I made.  These are great.  I like these so much better than pillowcases I've bought.  Of course, it's been awhile since I bought new ones.  Anyway, I like them.  I just used some of the cotton fabrics I used in the quilt.  You can find several patterns for pillowcases on the web, but here's the one I used.  I'll show another picture when I finish the quilt and pillows.


Oh, just one more thing.  Do you like chocolate?  Try these.  The dark chocolate pieces are my favorite, but they have many choices.   They're too good!
Have a great week!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Nice pillowcases -- I keep meaning to try sewing them myself. You really do get a big payoff from home dec. sewing -- personal style, plus nice quality at a better price.

Sheila said...

Thank you Mary for the spotlight.. :)

The end-of-the-bed bench is pretty and have always wanted one. Thrift shopping is floating in the back of my mind now...lol

Your bed is very pretty and have flaged the site for making them. Thanks.

Did you make the comforter on your bed... its gorgeous.